Paperrocket banner 3 sign up button orange star Herts 2015 logo-FINALIST freeagent-premium_partner
PEP16 Small Practice IRIS-CustomerAwards2018-Shortlisted-logo-gold-purp Herts 2016 FSB New Colour Logo Finalist (1) PaperRocket logo high-res

Welcome to PaperRocket Accounting,

Award winning accountants for UK contractors and freelancers

SME Herts Business Award_Finalist_2018 (002) SME Hertfordshire Business Award_Winner_2019-rgb

Award Winning


‘Tis the season to be jolly- claiming a Christmas party allowance

By PaperRocket Accounting, Nov 14 2018 03:11PM

It’s now less than 6 weeks until the big day itself. Perhaps you’re feeling smug because you’ve already got all your presents bought and wrapped, or maybe you’ll be frantically late night shopping the week before. But whichever camp you fall into, it’s definitely time to start planning a festive celebration for yourself and your members of staff. Not only is it a great way to show your employees how valued they are, staff entertainment expenses are tax deductible, so you can increase staff morale whilst decreasing your corporation tax bill!

What is the limit?

HMRC will provide tax relief on up to £150 per person per year. This can also include partners of employees.

Provided the amount does not exceed £150/head, your limited company will receive corporation tax relief on the expense, and it will not be treated as a benefit in kind (meaning employees will not have to pay additional tax/NI).

The rules:

• The event must be open to all members of staff.

• The £150 can cover multiple events throughout the year, again, provided the total amount spent doesn’t go over £150/head. So, you could spend £50/head on a Christmas party for your staff, and then later in the year £100/head for a Summer shindig!

• If the £150 limit is exceeded, even by 1 penny, the whole amount will become disallowable and therefore treated as a benefit in kind for your employees, meaning additional tax and NI will be due.

• The £150 is VAT inclusive and also includes any extra costs such as travel and accommodation.

• The primary cause of the event must be to entertain employees. The total cost will be disallowed for tax if it is found that entertaining customers is indeed the primary function.

As with all company expenses, receipts must be retained.

PaperRocket Accounting provide accounting and tax services to professional contractors and freelancers working in the UK.

We offer our clients a flexible choice of fixed fee monthly packages which cover all of their accounting and tax needs (so no hidden costs or surprise bills!). All of our accounting packages include a monthly subscription for a cloud accounting software subscription provided by the awarding winning FreeAgent.

Each of our clients is given their own dedicated qualified accountant with unlimited access in person, telephone, or by email.

We pride ourselves on our client satisfaction and customer service and were shortlisted as 'Welwyn Hatfield Business of the Year 2018' in the SME Hertfordshire awards, 'Small Practice of the Year 2016' in the AccountingWEB practice excellence awards, as well as FSB Hertfordshire Service Excellence finalists in 2015 and 2016.

To find out how we can help you please get in touch now.

Add a comment
* Required
RSS Feed

PaperRocket Accounting


packages banner